The Mitty effect.

You may have noticed I have this photo as the background to my blog:


Image result for the secret life of walter mitty

Those who have seen my web log profile will also see that I have listed The above film as my favourite film.

Here's why:
The 2013 remake of the classic short story inspired me when I first saw it many months ago. It combined many of my favoured interests, such as Greenland, Iceland, Eyjafjallajökull (pronounced I-yaf-yalla-yo-hull with the extra throatiness on the last syllable.) and bicycles along with a story of chasing your dream.
Now while I could happily talk about any of the above subjects with willingness, I get the impression that in order to appeal to a wider demographic I need to give some form of motivational rubbish while still linking it to the main topic of conversation.

Image result for motivation secret life of walter mittyLife can not be given. It must be chased. After all, there is no sense of achievement unless you have worked to earn it. Everyone at some stage in their life will have a dream. A dream which should be fulfilled to as high an extent as possible.
Take this man:
Felix Baumgartner.
Image result for felix baumgartner only limitAs a child he wanted to skydive. I'm pretty certain that there are thousands of other children who would dream of skydiving yet almost none of them would turn their ultimate utopic dream into a profession. Yet he did. Inspired by his own dream. In 2012 he skydived from the edge of the stratosphere breaking several world records. It was his dream and wanting to achieve that got him to that point.
And that brings us to what happens if you don't follow through your passions. Soon enough, you will find yourself full of the one thing people on quiz shows say they are avoiding when they choose a riskier strategy: Regrets.
I don't believe in reincarnation and I don't know anyone who does. Therefore, in our sole opportunity to make something out of this world and leave an imprint before the time when Death will carry us out of society.
Maybe these feelings I'm expressing are due to recent events and I'm over thinking but shouldn't we explore and challenge ourselves to reach the dreams we once unknowingly set ourselves to accomplish while enjoying it.
I'm sure Walter Mitty would agree. He certainly spent less time daydreaming when having discovered and explored 3 continents.
The more you see, the less you will dream about.
FACT of the IPOT:
I'm aware that the original short story by the satirist James Thurber didn't carry such a message. I am however that aware that stories are open to evolving and developing as different audiences are exposed to the content and message.
Just take the pronunciation of Jekyll in the Victorian novel
'The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde' 
Anyway I've gone off topic, silly me... 

Image result for james thurber

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A True gauge of Happiness

Final year

Abortive reflections on Swedish happenings