Death and the Violin...

This article sadly won't be about the true legend of words that is Sir Terry Pratchett. Instead it will be based around something I experienced recently.

Image result for elderly handsI have played the violin for a long time. Not for much longer but the important thing is that I currently do. Anyway, I was asked to play the violin for an elderly social group and one thing struck me. The interest and care they showed for us as we played was truly wonderful. In a modern society that often leaves the elderly feeling isolated and marginalised it was heart-warming to see them united and out about. But that isn't my main talking point.

During the meeting, they were informed of sad news that a close, much-loved member of their club had passed after a brief battle with the embuggerment that is Cancer. What struck me was their dealings with death. The instant shock was evident as you'd expect from almost anyone, but their ability to so quickly forget about his lack of presence and focus on their happy and joyous memories with the gentleman truly touched my soul. After all, as time goes by we all prefer to reflect on good times which once were rather than the end of a life that was once lived.

Sadness is an inevitability and suppression - as we've learnt from Jekyll and Hyde, classmates - is highly unhealthy but by remembering the highlights rather than dwelling on the disappointment is something we will definitely prefer.

Therefore, maybe rather than focussing on the loss and a willingness to claw and long for their return, why don't we instead remember the highlights that a life can bring rather than a low that offers not only sadness for you but also on those surrounding you who have to console each and every one who can't remember the good times.

I therefore feel it is therefore appropriate to end with a quote or two from the man himself:

 " Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
Image result for terry pratchett


FACT of the IPOT:
I'm well aware that the photo has little to do with the topic at hand but I like it and as the founder, CEO and sole contributor to this blog, I feel I have the casting vote on its appearance in this article!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A True gauge of Happiness

Final year

Abortive reflections on Swedish happenings