A land of incomplete combustion and water's cold kinsmen







When I got back from Iceland, I was in awe of the land in its wonder and natural beauty.


I have finally managed to compose my thoughts and this article was first published on Facebook. This was written the day after arrival back in our Kingdom. I have since expanded upon it and here are my thoughts...


Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

So I have now been back in our United Kingdom for just under a day and how I miss it already! Most of the conversations I've had today have revolved around my time in the republic for it was an experience like none other.

Yesterday, after a morning swimming in a geothermal swimming pool, we went into Reykjavik to explore the capital city - though capital town sounds more fitting. We journeyed past the 'White House' where Reagan and Gorbachev signed the nuclear deal before visiting the Icelandic Opera House and the famous pillared church which I can't spell, with a stop at the Althing on the way, while visiting the statues of the nation's settlers and 'founding fathers'.

And then came the drive to the airport, a journey I didn't want to make. For Iceland is a wonderfully optimistic place of social progression and tolerance. A place of beautiful scenery even in the bleakest and most desolate of places. The whole island is connected despite being divided by tectonics, volcanoes and great valleys.
The winters are vicious and justify the lack of farmland on the island yet this nation sticks together, with houses scattered individually across the island despite the constant threat of evacuation. The Icemen and women, who together have a population similar to Coventry have a grit about their life. Yet at the same time are passionate, caring, and impeccably polite in their second tongue. It teaches us a lesson on just how lazy we can be when travelling to other countries with utter ignorance of their language and culture.
I spoke in an earlier article about how Denmark is the 'happiest' country in the world and was surrounded by its Nordic neighbours in the top of the standings. One thing all of these nations have in common is a good system of social welfare where the love and support the government gives is returned by the people for their good education, housing and family planning schemes. Being instilled with good values also helps in a region known for its political, and certainly not geological, stability. Humility and modesty is evident, two qualities the world could certainly do with a bit more of, in this tumultuous time we are in.

So 'Iśland, tak fyrir' for your wonderful welcome and letting the wider ignorant world explore your natural wonders and delights with fascination. 'Fyrirgefdu' for having to deal with putting up with such ignorance, and I now dream that what I shouted out to our guide Petúr at Keflavik airport wasn't 'Bless' but 'sé thig seinna'


FACT of the IPOT: This is my first post in a while and may well be my last in a while due to this being my 11th year of education (excluding reception and nursery). In the meantime, entertain yourself with my 'pig icelandic'.


Comments

  1. Sounds like an educational and enjoyable time. Well written and I've learnt something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog cal, spent a while reading through all of it in DEPTH

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A True gauge of Happiness

Final year

Abortive reflections on Swedish happenings